Friday, June 3, 2011

Our Home Office Redo Part 1!

Moving…..it has been a bit overwhelming for me this time for many reasons but we are finally getting somewhere. We are currently moving back into our house, doing a small renovation project and doing a good spring cleaning all at the same time. It has been a little crazy but we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!


The first project I want to share with you is the cosmetic redo of our home office and stairway! I have been wanting to do this for such a long time and finally it is here. This space is not a room with a door like most home offices but “loft” like in that it has an open railing to the stair way. The long wall down the stairs leads into our living room so the challenge has always been where to end of the color from upstairs to the downstairs. Do you have the same challenge? So this time I decided to paint three of the walls and leave the longer wall out to carry the color up from the living room. These pictures below I hope explain what I am trying to say…






So I went back and forth with colors and I really wanted to this room to be the one that has color on the wall. Most of our home is neutral but I really wanted to bring in a color somehow. I wanted to step out of my box but  I was so nervous choosing…. I did decide on a navy blue but the shade of blue was throwing me. I have this rustic element in the room with the old wooden beams and wanted to kind of keep that feel.


 Here are some of the color samples we were thinking about….



We lingered on some of these colors and viewed them in the morning and evening to get a real sense of each one. That is a great tip when choosing a paint color. My husband’s suggestion was the deciding factor and the winner is “Hale Navy” by Ben Moore in a matte finish which is the paint swatch on the bottom. OK so I have to admit when I opened the can I gasped a bit thinking it has a purple undertone….not what I was looking for but I knew it would dry darker so I painted away and here is the finished room painted!!!! No regrets picking this color at all and it gives me the earthy, rustic and natural look that I was looking for.


Here is the room finished with the new flooring and new paint!!!







The stairway and railing are still be worked on by my hubby but hopefully this weekend it will all be done:)


I will soon post pictures of the office furniture and décor accents but it will take me a few weeks to pull this all together. I am really excited to show you the finished room as soon as I can. Thanks for reading today and let me know what you think about the wall color!!!!!

7 comments:

  1. As you know, I don't usually like blue when decorating, but this color, although in the blue family, is warm and cozy. I love the choice!! Great job. Love to you, Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color and the flooring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise it looks awesome! Blue is my favorite color and I love the hardwood floor. Thanks for sharing. I will put a link to your blog on One of Sil's sites called baskingridgemoms. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It totally fits the room. Love the floors too. Can't wait to see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise it looks great! I love the color. Jordan finished off our stairway to the basement this winter and I chose a very similar blue for that! It looks really good with the dark wood too. Love you-Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  6. very nice!I'm jealous of your redos!

    ReplyDelete